Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Caring About What Others Think

I apologize in advance for this one.  It is long and kind of soapboxy.  It always feels better to write it down.  You can wait till the next one if you want, it will be about our awesome vacation!

We have had a few experiences lately that have really made me stop and think, do I really care about what others think?  I have prided myself on the fact that I feel like I don't care.  I always say I really don't.  But here is the thing, I think I might.  I feel like others probably stare at our family a lot and I really don't lose sleep over it.  It's their problem not mine, right?

A few weeks ago we were at Disneyworld (another post coming on that) and Disneyworld as you all know is an absolute world of it's own.  We had tried it out last January and it went pretty well so we decided to do it again.  Talk about sensory overload, even for Joel and I.  Well, we were in line to go on the Star Tours ride.  They have several areas to stand in line at this one with a bucket of glasses by each set of lines.  We had to walk passed a bucket of glasses to get to our line.  They told us to wait and get the glasses at the bucket by our set of lines.  Tyson didn't get that.  He wanted to grab a pair out of the bucket we passed first.  We tried to convince him otherwise (still not sure why we tried to fight this battle, but we did).  He got worked up, like really upset.  So we gave in and let him just grab a pair as we walked by.  In our heads we thought, "this is a stupid battle to fight, just let him get a pair of glasses and he can move on."  The lady in front of us saw... a 9 year old kid throwing a fit and getting his way.  She had the ugliest look on her face, rolled her eyes, whispered something to the person next to her, and I wanted to punch her in the face.  Maybe I do care what people think...

At Disneyworld again, I take Charlie to the bathroom to change his diaper.  Yep, my 5 year old still is in diapers.  I take him in and wait in line for the table changer.  At least 3 mom's stared and then whispered something to others in line.  I realize they could have been talking about something totally unrelated, but probably not.  At that moment what went through my head was, "I wonder if my kids had a different "look" if people would still stare and judge?"  Maybe I do care what people think...

So as I have thought about this over the last few weeks, I think I have decided that I do care what others think when it comes to how I am as a mom.  I wish that I could continue saying that I don't care, but the truth is these boys are my pride and joy and it stings a bit when someone questions you as a parent.  Joel and I try our best but sometimes it's really hard to know what to do.  We didn't get a manual that tells us how to handle every situation that comes up.  Should we have made Tyson wait to get the glasses, is Charlie really capable of going to the potty and we just aren't pushing him enough?  At the end of the day all we can do is try our best and try to not worry about what others think.

OK, I have rambled enough so here is a preview of our fabulous vacation...

   

3 comments:

Dani said...

You are a fabulous mom, and don't let anyone make you feel any other way!!!!!!

travflew said...

That is the nature of people. It's hard not to ignore them but it really doesn't matter what they think. You are great! It's just too bad you have to experience that at Disney. It really is an amazing place. We already can't wait to make our next visit. Maybe we will have to look into doing a Disney cruise next time too. It sounds like a lot of fun.

The Lundstroms said...

No matter how "perfect" any family appears to be (or thinks they are) I guarantee they've all done something that's gotten them stared at in public. Screw em. You're doing an amazing job and your boys are lucky to have you.

When will moms learn that we are all just doing the best we can by our kids? Stop judging. Start supporting.

I will now step off my own soapbox. Love to you guys.